"Success is not measured by what you accomplish but the opposition you have encountered and the courage
with which you have maintained the struggle against overwhelming odds."

Orison Swett Marden

Monday, July 19, 2010

It Doesn't Feel Like Monday

It’s Monday. We’ve rested up after our first night. I don’t think I was ever as tired as I was Saturday night. We got here around 5:00 but it took us a couple of hours just to get set up. Somewhat of a camping nightmare. We found out just driving up to our site that it was not going to be user-friendly. It wouldn’t be so bad if you had a smaller trailer but our 26 foot trailer was feeling a little squished…even though I did request a big enough site. Turned out that if we parked the trailer in an “ideal” position, we couldn’t open the door. Not actually “ideal.” And we couldn’t back up the trailer further because there wasn’t enough clearance for the stabilizer jacks to pass over the cement slab. So we were stuck. We had to pull the trailer forward to clear the door and we are unable to use the awning. Which I really miss…especially since we will be here a week. I love sitting under the awning. It’s especially nice when it’s raining to be able to sit under there. Of course, not when there are gale force winds, but a soft rain makes it kind of relaxing under there. We do have a screen tent, however, so Craig and Allen did put that up. Which is good, because there are quite a few more bugs here than we’ve had to deal with this summer.

In any case, we had a heck of a time just to get the trailer level. One block, two blocks, back to one block. Allen even had to re-hitch the trailer to move it again. And then there was the boat. No good place to put it. Well, there’s a good place to put it, but next to impossible to back it up in there. Allen had this one bright idea to push it onto our site perpendicular to the road. It would not work. And so much for Minnesota-nice. Our neighbors sat there and stared at us like we were a three-ring circus, not offering help of any kind. In the end, I finally got Allen to listen to my idea and we got it backed up and parked. By this time we were hot, sweaty and sick and tired of all the rig-a-ma-roll. We managed to have a good supper of “best-ever hamburgers” and salads that my loving mother made for us. Craig actually loved the Spam salad! After supper I was so tired I didn’t even think I could make it through washing my face without falling asleep, but I did and then crawled into bed about 9:00 (I know that’s a shocker to my late-night friends).

Yesterday was a pretty lazy day. We tried to get internet but couldn’t…only to find out last night while it doesn’t work inside the trailer, it does work when we’re sitting out here at the picnic table. Go figure. Craig and I did some reading, Allen took a long nap, I tried to take a nap, we played some Wheel of Fortune with Craig. Nothing very strenuous. After dinner we went for a walk and ended up at the beach. Allen and Craig weren’t bothered by the humidity but it was killing me. Craig and I waded into the water, and once we got used to it, it felt kind of nice. Hence, the decision to go swimming. We walked backed to the campsite and got our suits on and went back to the beach. We washed our hair and enjoyed a good splash fight, all the while Willy was barking up a storm on the beach. I found a pail and filled it full of water and splashed him. He loves it. He barks and jumps, trying to catch the water.

I felt 100% better after that swim. The water was clear and felt just the right temperature after getting used to it. I was ready to come back to the camper and get ready for bed. I slept good last night and we had our breakfast muffins out on the picnic table this morning when Willy provided us with a wonderful laugh. We were watching as a small chipmunk was making his way to the screen tent. As soon as he got up to the tent and started rustling the bottom edge, Willy was on him like frosting on cake. He set a speed record going from the opposite side of the screen tent and under the picnic table. That chipmunk ran so fast I didn’t even see which way he went! And you’d think he’d learn. That little chipmunk is still hanging around the campsite. He’s been exploring the firepit where Craig put his breakfast plate. I’m not sure if Willy is going to figure out he can actually get out of the tent by going under it. Then there will be madness!

Cloudy day here today. Only about 70 degrees. We’re about to have some lunch and then I’m not sure what’s on the agenda. It’s sprinkling on and off so we may take a trip into town. Craig always wants to know what we’re going to do…and I don’t want to figure it out until we’re going to do it (when we’re camping at least), so we’ll see what the rest of the day brings.

P.S. I know the sign includes Claire's name but she's not with us. So far the camper has scared her to death, but we couldn't leave her name off! She is on guard duty at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment